Pages


Welcome

"I have always been passionate about make up, its effects, whether transformative, decorative or highlighting ones true beauty, have always held a facination for me."

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bargain Beauty Buys

Lately I've been astounded at the quality that I'm finding in what was traditionally lower end / lower price (lower quality) make up.
Don't get me wrong, I love my lush brands and there's a hidden snob in me that just adores getting something nicely packaged from Mac or Dior for example
But on the other hand, I'm the daughter of an Irish mammy who likes nothing better than getting a bargain on well anything at all (whether its needed or not) and now I too love nothing more than finding a product that does the same or a better job than another similar product for a fraction of the price and I've been having quite a few of these moments lately.

Lets start with Essence
  • Mascara - I've long been a fan of the Diorshow waterproof mascara but when I came across something that looked very, very like (c'mon its an obvious dupe) it in Heatons i just had to get it to test it out and with a price range of €2.50 - 3.50 on their mascaras it wasn't going to be a huge gamble if it turned out to be horrible. It wasn't...While it doesn't come in the waterproof formula that I love the Dior one for it does give me massive false lash effect lashes, so much so that I just cannot justify forking out an extra twenty  five squids for something only marginally better.

  • Gel eyeliner
    Is a recent offering from Essence (also Catrice are doing one that's supposed to be equally as good but I haven't managed to find it stocked anywhere in Cork ). I had previously been using Mac's Fluidline in Blacktrack but had always found that the consistency left a lot to be desired and that it dried out far to quickly both on the eye and in the pot.
    The essence gel liner is one of those products that just simply makes me happy, it does what its supposed to do, and it remains doing what its supposed to do until you tell it not to (or remove it but bear with the ronseal analogy). It stays wet in the pot, it goes on smooth and even, leaving no patchy bits or drag lines and it dries and stays incredibly black on the lid for the whole day.

Penny's - got a whole lot of things for... well all the time.
  • Where would we be without Penny's, the shopping savvy girls answer to almost all fashion needs..their latest offering fake lashes.
    Now when Penny's first introduced their fake lash range I had a quick look and scoffed at the thick bands, the glitter, the feathers, the white balls and all other ridiculous objects that were stuck to the lashes to render them completely useless and I promptly forgot about them entirely.Then a few weeks ago during a bit of uncharacteristic sunshine I was in need of some emergency sandals and while in there I spotted their latest lash offerings.Firstly there was the 5 pack (girls aloud dupe) for €8, they looked perfect, flattering shapes, nice thin bands not a panto show amongst them. The shapes and the packaging are actually about a 90% copy of the girls aloud 5 pack but the good news is that these lashes seem to have gotten popular enough to drive down the price of the Eyelure Girls aloud 5 pack which is currently in Debenhams for €12.50. Good times

which brings me to the next savvy tip...
Eyelash Glue
  • Now Duo eyelash glue (surgical adhesive) is generally referred to as the be all and end all for decent eyelash glue and while it is fantastic and quite possible the best on the market it does come in at a quite steep €13(ish) mark. Eyelure on the other hand have their own offering of eyelash adhesive in Lashfix which generally retails from between €2.50 - €3 (I got this on promotion in boots a few months ago for €.75) Eyelure have always been and probably will always be my go to brand when it comes to all things lashes, there is a strong company history there and they know what they're at. Lash fix cannot be beaten IMO (not by duo for a +€10 price tag).

Skin care
  • Simple skincare have been a kit staple of mine since I started my career and has been a skincare favourite of mine since I realised I should be cleaning my face with something besides the soap in the bathroom.
    At the moment Dunne's Stores as well as some pharmacy's have their range on a two for €5 promotion, I've stocked up anyway.

  • Rosewater - not strictly a bargain but I always think this beats the high end toners hands down and leaves your skin refreshed (and it smells lovely too)

  • Silcox base / Aqueous cream : perfect for dry irritated skin, big huge tubs of pharmacy grade available for around the fiver mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment