Pages


Welcome

"I have always been passionate about make up, its effects, whether transformative, decorative or highlighting ones true beauty, have always held a facination for me."

Monday, October 31, 2011

How to wash your make up brushes

One question I'm always getting asked in the course of my work is how do I clean and keep my brushes in good condition. I've literally spent a small fortune on brushes over the past six years, each tiny little tool costing quite a bit so its vital that they last.
So I thought I'd share my secrets with you all.

Step 1 -What you'll need


Firstly, well a whole lot of dirty brushes like these.
Secondly a mild shampoo
Thirdly some dishwasher soap, I prefer fairy liquid but anything that's good at cutting grease will do

Step 2 - The how to of it all...


Note: Shampoo works better on natural fiber brushes, for synthetic brushes, especially those with emolient based products like lipstick, gloss, concealor, etc... on them sometimes you will need to add in a bit of wash up liquid to cut through the grease in the product.

Place the brush head down into a stream of hot water.
Dip into shampoo and create a lather by swirling the brush around in your hand. Treat your brushes like mini heads of hair, be gentle, if the brush is particularly dirty, repeat this until the water runs clean, don't smash the hairs of the brush trying to get product out.

Ensure that you keep the brushes pointed down at all times, this is so water won't enter the area called the ferrule (where the brush hairs are glued together) and weaken the bonds.

Step 3 - Drying

Ideally you should allow your brushes to dry over night in a well ventilated area. Don't place them on a heater as again this could weaken the glue.
Once your brush is clean, reshape the brush gently with your hands.
Lay it flat on a piece of tissue paper and leave it to dry.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete